Reflections is a long-standing national PTA arts recognition program designed to encourage students’ creativity and appreciation of the arts. Students create pieces specifically related to the year’s theme. The works must be their own, have a title and be accompanied by a short “artist’s statement” explaining how their art relates to the theme.
2015-16 theme: “Let Your Imagination Fly”
Entries are accepted in six categories:
- Visual Arts
- Dance Choreography
- Film Production
- Musical Composition
and organized in 5 divisions:
- Primary (K-2nd)
- Intermediate (3rd-5th)
- Junior (6th-8th)
- Senior (9th-12th)
- Special Artist Division (This is a new division introduced in 2011. It is a non-graded category limited to students whose physical, cognitive or mental health challenges meet the guidelines in the American Disabilities Act.)
The deadline for submissions at Lum is October 26. Rules can be found online at PTA Reflections. Entry and consent forms are found on the California PTA Reflections page. Click on the heading “More Information” on the box on the right side of the page.
All participants are recognized for their efforts. Winners from Lum advance to the Alameda Council, then potentially to district/county, regional/state and finally national level. National award recipients are announced and notified in May, and displayed at the National PTA Convention. Please see the website for prize details, which can include cash awards and an expense-paid trip to the convention.
Previous themes have included:
- “Believe, Dream, Inspire” (2013/14)
- “The Magic of a Moment” (2012/13)
- “Diversity Means…” (2011/12)
- “Together We Can” (2010/11)