Jamie Reynolds (4th grade) / 2013 Logo Winner
Let’s get ready to SPELL, Lum Bears! The 5th Annual Lum Spelling Bee will be held on Friday March 10 at 6:00 pm in the MPR. The preliminary written test is scheduled for Wednesday March 1 at 2 pm in room 2.
Purpose of the Spelling Bee
- To improve and advance the skills associated with good spelling habits.
- To expand student vocabulary and encourage accurate word usage and pronunciation
- To enhance student development of poise and communication under pressure.
Sample list of words for each grade
Applying for the spelling bee
All spelling bee participants MUST register to take the written test and the deadline for registration is on February 27. Complete the registration form and return to the office. Space is limited, so we will be accepting students in the order their forms are received.
Spelling Bee Procedure
- All students currently in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th grade are eligible to participate.
- The Spelling Bee will take place in two parts:
- The first part consists of a preliminary Spell-off to determine eight (8) finalists per grade level – This will be a written spelling test (similar to tests that the students take in their class).
- The second part will consist of the Final Spelling Bee. The participants will randomly choose numbered cards. This card will determine the order in which students compete.
The top three spellers from each grade will be recognized for their achievement, and all finalist students will receive a certificate of participation and a Beary Good award.
First Test: Spell-off
Wednesday, March 1
Location: Room 2
Final Test: Final Spelling Bee
Friday, March 10
Time: 6:00 pm
Location: Multipurpose Room
Spelling Bee winners
- 2017 winners:5th grade
1st place – Conrad H
2nd place – Quira H
3rd place – Jacob W
1st place – Mehmet H
2nd place – Siddharth G
3rd place – Grace R
1st place – Niranjana K
2nd place -Ruth W
3rd place – Jarvin P
1st place – Sarah O-H
2nd place -Susan R
3rd place -Abdu B