Let’s get moving! The Walk and Bike to School programs encourage students and their families to keep the cars at home and power themselves to school. Walking and biking (and scootering and rollerblading!) to school provides great exercise and is kind to the environment. It’s also a great way to get to know your Lum neighbors.
Walk and Bike to School programs include:
- Bike to School Day: In May, Alameda celebrates Bike to Work Day so Lum families can join the fun with Bike to School Day. Everyone biking to school can enjoy fun bike-themed games as well as refuel with some nutritious snacks.
- Feet First Fridays: On the first Friday of each month, Lum PTA hosts a Feet First Friday event that encourages students to walk or bike to school with fun activities at arrival time.
- Golden Sneaker Award: This is a fun contest between classes that rewards the class with the greatest number of students who walk, bike, carpool or ride the bus to school during a two-week period. The winning class displays the coveted Golden Sneaker Award in their room and enjoys an ice cream or pizza party, or some other special classroom activity.
- Walk and Bike to School Day: Celebrate National Walk and Bike to School Day in the fall. Participate in fun activities at arrival time.
- Walking School Bus: Walk to school with your Lum neighbors!
Interested in volunteering? Volunteers help develop and implement fun activities to encourage more students to walk and bike to school. For more information, contact the Walk and Bike to School Committee Chair.